Tech Writer Tools: Bad Habits, Toddy Cold-Brewed Coffee ~ Los Angeles Tech Writer
The best way to write is to write.
A blog about technical writing in Los Angeles, LA in general, and other things...

Friday, January 23, 2009

Tech Writer Tools: Bad Habits, Toddy Cold-Brewed Coffee

Today's post is tangentially about a bad tech writer habit of mine. While engrossed in a project, I tend to eat and drink while I'm working. This leads to meals I haven't noticed I've eaten, and empty coffee or tea cups which I'm sure I've just refilled. I believe this has its roots in what I call the independent contractor economy of motion mindset, roughly described as "the faster you get the work done, the happier the client will be and the sooner you can get out of there." So this entry is about coffee.

My son is a barista. Right before Christmas he asked whether I'd ever heard of cold-brewed coffee. I hadn't, so I looked it up on the net.

The method is to steep ground coffee beans in cold water for approximately twelve hours, then to drain out the resulting extract. From the extract can be made hot coffee (by adding hot water to a small amount of extract) or any manner of cold coffee drinks.

The benefit is a much less acidic coffee (approximately 67% less acid, according to the Toddy website). I was intrigued, so his Christmas gift to me was a Toddy Coffee Maker and a pound of coffee with which to make my first batch.

The system and instructions are simple. Grind coffee coarsely, then layer water and coffee into the steeping container so that all the coffee is wet. Watch it longingly for twelve hours (an optional step), then remove the stopper in the bottom so that the extract drains through a dense filter into the storage carafe.

I have made several batches. The first with my favorite French Roast, then a batch with his favorite Sumatra. Now I've ordered two bags of beans from Landmark Coffee* (which sells very high quality coffee at a good price with fast shipping service); a bag of French Roast beans and a bag of their French-Sumatra blend.

Coffee made with the extract is very smooth, lacking the acid-bitter taste that can result from heat-brewed coffee. I was never fully aware of how acidic hot-brewed coffee is until I tasted cold-brewed. The difference is subtle but remarkable. Further, the coffee can be made to suit one's taste by varying the amount of extract used.

I am definitely a fan. However, its novelty has not yet worn off for me, so each time I make a batch I end up giving jars of extract to my friends to try, quickly depleting my supply. Consequently the extract does not last very long in my household, but I'm sure that will change.

I've now started my next batch of coffee cold-brewing, and realized I forgot to mention the incredible coffee aroma that permeates the house during this process. Mmmm.

*Note: If, as a new customer, you place an order with Landmark Coffee, you will receive a free pound of coffee, and if you mention my customer ID number, then I will receive a free pound of coffee when I next order.

NB: This blog post is unsolicited, and other than mentioned in the note above, I am solely a consumer of the two products mentioned. I am in no other way connected to, nor do I receive any monetary or other benefit from, Toddy or Landmark Coffee.



A print from the Rakuzan Kachou Gafu [100 Series] by Rakusan Tsuchiya. I own a beautiful print book of this series, published around 1930.
Rakusan.net

No comments:

Post a Comment